Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Well, I was supposed to write this post a week ago, but time flew by and here I am a week later just getting around to it.  Oh well!  We've just finished a little backpacking trip and will be leaving BC tomorrow, but I'll save that story for next time.

For now, most of what I have to report on is climbing, climbing, climbing.  We did as many long routes up the Chief as we could fit in, as well as visiting other spots in the area like the Malamute, Slhanay,  and Bulletheads.  I was most excited about doing the Grand Wall; it's a pretty classic route with some hard climbing and it's one of the routes we didn't get to do together last time we were here.  The last few pitches of the route--called the Roman Chimneys--are not generally climbed anymore, and after doing them we could see why!  A bit dirty and mossy, a bit harrowing and not so fun.  But, after talking about wanting to do that part for 2 years, at least Mike can say that he's done it!

We continued to have beautiful weather until the evening of July 31st, when we saw the first rain since we arrived.  I guess July really is the best time to be here!  Since then we've had a few more showery days, enough to make it hard to climb but not so bad that it's a pain to be camping.  We also got to enjoy the local 'Logger Sports' festival, with competitions in more kinds of wood chopping than you knew existed!  Tree climbing and log rolling in water were also fun to watch. 


Just a few new pictures this time.....since we've been primarily climbing there isn't much new to show.  You can only take so many pictures of a person climbing above or below you on a wall; they all pretty much look the same! 

Blog 3

2 comments:

Amy-Jean said...

Maura and Mike - you guys are amazing. I have always had great admiration for your strength and bravery to do these things. So, funny story is, I have NEVER even attempted those fun rock walls (but always wanted to) until this past weekend. It was at an event my hubby and I attended and I went for it. I tried "medium" first, LOL, half way up I can't hold on and I am floundering - I cut my finger and am bleeding. But that wasn't goiing to stop me, got a napkin, cleaned up the mess and then tried the "easy" part. That I had success and made it to the top - plus the guy gave me a little more hints on how to climb, like keeping your body close to the wall. This was literally tops 5 minutes. It was FUN!!!! But the next day I realized I had muscles I didn't previously know existed. OMG, I was sore (but in a good way). I'd try the rock walls again, but I will enjoy your blogs when it comes to experiencing the real thing. You guys are so cool!!! HUGS!!!

Amy Beaudet said...

Love it, love your pics - I bet a lot of those logger games started out with ... " I bet you can't...."

Also love all the big smiles. Life is good, aye?

:)
~Amy