Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Squamish, BC: Climbing and weather paradise!

Well, having been in Squamish for just over 2 weeks now I can definitely recommend coming in July! We’ve had only one rainy day the entire time, and considering the lushness of the vegetation it must rain the other 11 months of the year! We’re about an hour north of Vancouver, camped in a beautiful little campground just at the base of the Chief—the 2300 foot tall granite cliff that looms up from the waters of Howe Sound. Climbing is one of the main draws to the area, and there are climbers here from all over the world. We’ve seen people from almost every state and province (though no one else from northern New England), as well as folks from England, Sweden, Mexico, Japan, New Zealand and I’m sure many other countries. It really is a climbing paradise! There’s enough rock within a 30 mile radius to keep you busy for several lifetimes. The one drawback is the construction going on right now. The main North-South highway is being widened in preparation for the 2010 Olympics here, and since the road is squashed in between the Chief and the water that means a lot of construction noise just 50 yards or so from where we’re camped. It’s not so bad, just somewhat annoying when they’re working overnight and backing up the trucks a lot….beep, beep, beep at 3 a.m.!

Our friends Jamie and Ellen were here for two weeks, we had a blast climbing and hanging out with them. We’ve done some hard sport climbing, some one-pitch trad climbing, some bouldering and several multi-pitch routes up part or all of the Chief. Really, we’re spoiled for choice here! Mike had an opportunity to climb the Grand Wall with a friend we met here; it was a long-term dream of his to do that route so I was thrilled he got the chance. We may try to climb it together before we leave, but we have so many things on the to-do list who knows how much we’ll actually get done! Although we’ve been having an amazing time it’s almost time for us to leave and head back home for a little bit…some family events and a friend’s wedding are calling us home for August. We’ve got a lot of climbing to pack in to the next 10 days, so wish us luck and hopefully we’ll get a chance to catch up with NH/Maine based folks soon!

Squamish 1

1 comment:

teriterp said...

Mauraaaa!!

Normally I am not lost for words; seems when it comes to expressing my thoughts on your blog, I pretty much shot my stash before you left. Sorry for my silence!

It has been a long and amazing journey for us both since the first of the year, though yours has made you leaner, meaner, and spiritually satiated. Mine has been one of passion, amazement, love, and general disbelief that I am living my fairy tale. Whoa -- I guess we can BOTH relate to those thoughts!

I envy the wings that adorn your heels and the air that surrounds your head, but I am content and joyful with my feet on terra firma in NH.

I wish you continued safe travels as you journey toward your heart's desires, and cannot wait to sit, sip, and SPILL the skinny!

You are in my thoughts and I send all good karma your way. Know that I live a gloriously kick-ass life in my own vicarious (and actual) way; thanks for your part in that!

I love and miss you - bunches and gobs!

Teri