Monday, February 4, 2008

You can't recycle in Las Vegas

It’s hard to imagine that a major metropolitan area like Vegas wouldn’t have some kind of recycling program. But, I guess that’s just the essence of this city. Conservation seems like a dirty word in a land of excess and unbridled development and sprawl. Mile after mile of new housing developments and shopping plazas, all with irrigated landscaping and pools. In the desert. And at the same time every apartment complex has multiple vacancies, they’re all advertising move-in specials; and some neighborhoods we’ve driven through have for sale signs in at least a third of the yards. Being in this city is frustrating that way; there’s so much waste on such an incredibly large scale. At a time when I’m trying to be more conscious of reducing my impact on the planet, it’s disheartening to be surrounded by an enormous city that seems bent on creating the most damage possible.

(Oh, by the way, I did find a way to recycle. Whole Foods has bins outside their store….I don’t think they intended for me to bring my household stuff there, but nobody stopped me!)

No comments: